Re: [Amc-list] Rust/metal prep.... AGAIN!

Re: [Amc-list] Rust/metal prep.... AGAIN!

" From: A Griffiths <arfonrg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" What do you guys like to put on bare metal before body filler?
"
" What is the consensus on treating surface rust and filling the pits?
"
" Anyone have a suggestion on a decent, *inexpensive* primer that I can
" put on the car until I get it painted a few months later?

fwiw -- armchair quarterbacking:

i did quite a bit o' internet research on rustproofing a few months
ago.  i don't have the details at my fingertips but in general --

i'd take a chemical approach.  rust conversion coatings really do
neutralize rust, but they need rust to work on; they won't touch clean
metal.  if your surface rust isn't heavy, i'd go for a phosphoric-acid
based prep.  this actually dissolves rust and also reacts with clean
metal leaving a water barrier iron phosphate layer.  in the best of
worlds i'd follow that with a zinc phosphate primer, then an epoxy
primer.  i think that would hold up in a dry garage for the time you
need.

bondo over the epoxy, reprime as needed, then paint.