Re: [Amc-list] '71 DJ point of interest

" From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" My son's DJ has either a 232 or early 258 (maybe 199?). Starter is on
" the passenger's side and it had a BW auto, so I have to climb in there
" and see if it's the small early bell or later one (trans was pulled
" for rebuild. They hosed the PO for $1500 on the rebuild and now he has
" the trans up for $200 since it won't fit his '81) I'm hoping it's the
" low bell, maybe with a special starter (wouldn't that be a kick for
" early motor trans upgrades?)

if it's really a '71 it should be a high-deck small bell 232/258 with
the starter under the manifolds.  jeep [and afaik am general] never
used 199s.  djs continued to use warner autos - both m35 and m11 - up
to '74/'75 and i -believe- the engines were all small bell style.
after '75 they had tf904s and large bell sixes.