Re: [Amc-list] Gravel at Idle

My son just dropped the oil pan on the '94 XJ he recently got for cheap (made a knocking noise) turned out to be badly worn rod bearings, but it ran fine otherwise. Noise was piston #2 thumping the ring land on the ridge of the cylinder (never taken apart in almost 300,000 miles. He also fished chunks of Fram filter paper out of the oil gallery with a coat hanger. Filter had blown apart for "no reason")

From: Joe Fulton
Subject: [Amc-list] Gravel at Idle
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I may have mentioned this before, but my 77 Gremlin
258 six/auto has developed a sound like a rock in the
oil pan at idle.  The sound goes away when you race
the engine.  I have listened to various parts of the
engine and accessories with a dowel up to my ear, but
can't really identify where the sound comes from.  The
idle is pretty smooth now and the intermittent
"crunch" sound doesn't seem to coincide with a drop in
rpm.

As far as I know the oil pressure is good. I have an
idiot light which goes out promptly on startup.  Cold
cranking compression test last week was 160 psi on all
cylinders so the top end seems to be healthy.  I'll
try to listen near the flex plate/transmission later
today to see if the sound comes from back there.  I
don't think it's a water pump sound either, because
the pump is not leaking a bit, but I can take off the
fan belts and see if the sound goes away without the
pump turning.  I already took the belt off of the air
pump, which I thought was the source, but the sound
doesn't change when the air pump is not turning.

Any ideas?

Joe Fulton