Re: [Amc-list] spark and mirror questions

Re: [Amc-list] spark and mirror questions

" From: Glen Hoag <hoag@xxxxxx>
"
" Richard,
" This is with the Prestolite "BID" system?  The pickup coil could be
" bad, or the connector between the pickup and the control module could
" be flaky.  Unplugging and reseating the connector can bring it back
" to life for a while.  There was a recall campaign covering all
" Prestolite ignition systems.  I think I have the TSB for it.  One
" solution was to cut the connector off and solder the leads directly
" to the harness.

also, these days you could take a less drastic approach of cleaning
the pickup harness plug with contact cleaner, then using contact
grease.  both were developed for this sort of problem but weren't
widely available in the '70s/early '80s.

the prestolite was very sensitive to this because its sensor had a
very low voltage / low current signal.

finally, if you give up on the prestolite, you can go -forward- to the
amc/ford duraspark electronic setup, or perhaps more easily, an hei
from a late-'70s chevy 250/292.  you only need to swap the drive gear
from your distributor to drop it in.  the cap has sparkplug-style
towers, so you'll need a set of chevy 250 plug wires too.