Re: [Amc-list] Hornet evap

Mark:
On the Hornet/Gremlin/Concords, the evap case naturally mates up to the heater case-meaning, the same heater case can be used whether or not the car has AC with, I think, just a minor mod at the point where the two mate up. The American heater case is most likely the same, meaning it should need little or no modification to make it mate up to the Hornet evap case.

We did just such a swap on the Three Jeffs Project Hornet: we installed factory AC on a previously non-AC car, and as I recall when I had all the evap and heater cases out of the car, I looked at them side by side and didn't note anything really different between the AC and non-AC heater cases. The AC stuff we used came from a Spirit, and I think the biggest modification I had to make was mating the upper dash vent plenum to the top of the evap box.

Using all stock AMC AC hoses, and a stock York compressor, I put R134a in the system and it got plenty cold.

I think if you use the Hornet evap case to achieve a more-or-less factory style AC you'll be pleased with the results. The Sanden is a definite, and if you have new AC hoses made you're ahead of the game. The fittings on the Hornet evap box are already O-rings, I think, so you'd just have to eliminate the flare fittings elsewhere.

Jeff Reeves
Auburn GA
94 Cherokee
81 Spirit GT