Re: [Amc-list] push rods in a OHV 196

Joe Smith wrote:
> The OHV 196 in my 61 keeps dropping push rods 3 and 5.  Are they too short?

Unlikely. Most likely, not just my recent experience but age design etc
-- valves sticking, which means the stems are sticking in the guides.
And yes, I do think, most likely from bad gas.

Or, they're crazy out of adjustment. That's easily fixed!

But Greg's right, pull the cover and look for broken springs, etc.

Mechanical lifters the size of yellow #2 pencil erasers.

THe springs on that motor are weak enough that you can actuate them BY
HAND! (OK it's hard). Use a hard, clean non-splintery small block of
wood, even, and press the valve down, let it up slow. If it hesitates,
drags, etc it's stuck.

Mine, I could press the rocker hard with my (calloused) palm, and they
would stick down!