Re: [Amc-list] Gasoline stinks!

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I know you had your reasons for going back to gas, but I think yer nuts....
> $4.60 a gallon out there?
> I'd have left it alone and worked out a fueling schedule.
> Maybe a bigger tank.

It wasn't that much cheaper, all in all. When I got to stick to buying
from big tank farms it was sometimes %25 cheaper. But you use 15% more
fuel, so the per-mile fuel savings wasn't spectacular.

Then on road trips (the target for this car...) I'd end up buying at
mom'n'pop stores where it was $3, $4 per gallon LAST YEAR, and only
before 5pm, and only if Dad was there to pump it (he's off to the
store), and then you gotta wait for them to come from behind the cash
register, ...

When I was self-employed, and my pace of life was much slower, it was
less of a problem, or just another part of the trip.

It's OK though. Though I'm selling off all the LP gear, I'm keeping one
of my vehicle tanks, a brand-new never used 32 water capacity "slip"
tank, 24 gal LP. Was sized to fit between Gremlin rails. The rest of the
stuff is cheap, carbs are less than $100. I'll keep all my
documentation. I could do it all again. The tanks are expensive! I paid
$600 for this new one in 1998.

I'm moving my operation up into the 1990's though, I decided, only
partly due to fuel costs, that I have to get my act together and switch
to TBI fuel injection. First I'll do the Classic wagon with the Howell
kit I bougt from Russell, then I want to do a Carter YF replacement.
Next chance I get I'm just going to a junkyard and taking home the first
GM throttle body I can find off a 1.5 - 2.5 litre motor of suitable bore
and have at it.