Re: [Amc-list] E-85 Conversion, MPG'S and E85

Re: [Amc-list] E-85 Conversion, MPG'S and E85

Currently E85 is subsidized by the government to make it very competitive
pricewise with gasoline. There are a lot of E85 fuel stations in MN and the
Midwest corn belt in general. Not so everywhere else. Hot Rod and I think
Car Craft have done a few articles about E85 engines lately and Greg is
correct. You can make gobs of power with it, but don't forget the same
compression levels Greg is talking about make bigger gobs of power on the
correct octane gasoline's, it just costs more. Availability of the fuel I
think is the critical issue. The engine doesn't care if it burns E85 or 104
octane racing fuel, it's just the fuel system itself that matters. Some
seals in the fuel system won't survive long on E85. E85 burns cleaner and
pollutes everything less. 20% less fuel mileage may be a generous statement,
I wouldn't believe that until you can compare the same engine, car,
drivetrain on both gas and E85 and see what really happens. I know that's
what all the writers are saying but they never actually compare a set up
that only the fuel systems have been modified on to get the data.
Having said all this I would love to build an engine with 12 to 1
compression and run E85 on the street and open road course days just to hear
the thing run. It's gotta have a real crisp exhaust note...........

Just my two cents worth,

Armand