Re: [Amc-list] 17.339 MPG around town

On Mon, 26 May 2008, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I dunno what they do, but mine looks like it is sitting right between 21-22mpg and that's with me "having fun".
> I drive it so litlle it's hard to be economical....
> I've allready got half the 300 miles I managed last year on it!
> Put over a 100 on it today.
> Runs smoother at 70 than at 60-65, makes it harder to be gentleon the highway too...

Wow! That's EFI for ya... OK I guess I have to get a bit more modern.

> I got to research a heater control valve for it though. I can't get the heat to shut off, I'm guessing the valve took a crap.
> I'd like to find a real correct bolt to the dash one. Right now I have to open the floor vents to combat the toasty feet...

Welp here's what I'm using...

63 American	heater valve	NAPA 660-1141	5/8" in and out, cable PULL=open
70 Hornet	Heater valve	NAPA 660-1271	5/8” inline, cable PUSH=open, w/no mounting bracket

No thermostatic valve, and it floats on the hose, no mounting bracket.
That's worked out fine for both cars though.

In my 63 Classic:

63 Classic	Heater valve repair kit	NAPA 660-1000	Ranco repair kit, fits Volvo 74-92

That lasted a year or two, then the valve rotted. I'll replace
with the above and forgo the nice thermostatic control.