Re: [Amc-list] hot rodding my Spirit

" From: russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" I finished swapping in my Posi. This was a Gremmie rear end that I prepped with one piece axles and 4:11 gears. new bearings and seals through out. A guy bought my hot rod Gremmie and already had a 9 inch for it so I kept the rear end. It had been sitting for about a year begging to go in something.

btw afaik hornet/gremlin/concord/spirit rears are the same as '68-'70
javelin/amx.

" I swapped it in my 82 Sirit with poly bushings, slapper bars and Hornet wagon shocks. Other little tricks too.
" The engine is the 258 with a 4.0 head swap, clifford intake with a 318 Chryco carb and Ford dist upgrade. Of course the computer stuff and silly serpentine belt eliminated. With a 2 1/2 inch exhaust this thing just flys.
" Been thinking of that tranny. Its a 5spd and I love rowing it but will it hold up. Any suggestions on a diff tranny.

mark's got it, a mustang 5.0 tranny.  '85-9 are rated 265 ft-lbs as he
said, '90-3 300, all with 3.35:1 1st.  the 2.95 'world class' versions
are all aftermkt or ford motorsport m-7003 parts.  m-7003-a was 305
ft-lbs; the -x/-z were 325/330 just a couple of years ago, but current
m-7003 are back down to 300 ft-lb rating.  the declining fortunes of
the t5, i guess...  imho they're all strong enough for your six, as
long as it's all motor and no blower or bottle.

there's no good 5th for the 3.35 t5s.  stock is 0.68 on 5.0s and 0.73
on 3.8s, and the aftermkt c/r is a nice 0.8 with 2.95 1st but gives
0.92 with the 3.35 gearset.

if you're going to be leaning on the tranny you might also want the
cluster stabilizer at http://www.5speeds.com/t5.htm

5.0 t5 bearing retainers are 4.85", same as a t150, but sr4 and amc
[and gm] t5 retainers are 4.64".  you might be able to use your sr4 or
t5 retainer on a ford box to avoid having to mill the retainer hole on
the bell.

" I have a 4spd from a 79 but isn't that just basically the same tranny as the 5-spd.

that's a sr4, weaker predecessor to the t4/t5.  wide ratios and 220?
ft-lbs.