From: "Archimedes" <Freedom@xxxxxxxx>
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 73 Javelin Parts Car

> >> Parting out a
> >> perfectly good car really isn't such a bad thing as long as the end
result
> >> is not crushing what's left. Let's face it, race cars have to begin
> >> somewhere, and parting out nicely preserved cars to make them into race
only
> >> cars is a very good way to save AMC iron.
>

> I was referring to "tunnel-vision parting", where a guy will take a
driveable, not-totally-rusted-out Ambassador, and tear it apart just to get
the 401 motor out of it.  I agree that rustbuckets that are probably not
salvageable are OK to part.  On the other hand, how many AMX's have been
brought back to life with new floor pans and quarters and other work that no
one would bother with on an Ambo?

> I can't count how many eBay auctions I've seen that go something like:
>
> "401 motor and other parts from a cherry, unrusted original lo mile
Ambassador...  I drove the car home, ran perfect....  Other parts available
as well..."

> I know, it isn't my business...  Yes, a lot of these are non-car guys,
just wrenches trying to make a buck.  But a lot of them are AMC hobby guys
who will destroy a perfect Ambo just for the motor for their AMX.  I think
it's a shortsighted way to particpate in the AMC hobby and in all
probability will shorten the life of the hobby in the long run.

> We in the hobby all need to get in the habit of taking a model we wouldn't
normally save for a ride before parting it out.  Just to see if a smile
doesn't come to your face.