Re: [Amc-list] 196/SR-4

I supplied that info! The SR-4s top two mounting holes match up to the top two of a 196. The bottom holes are way further down on the SR-4 than the old T-96, and I believe further down than "Tri-Power" T-96s (the lower bolts are lower on 63+ Calssic/64+ American T-96 trannys and bells). Would be easy to make a 1/4" steel plate adapter with flush bolts through the adapter into the lower bell bolt holes, then nuts and bolts through the lower holes on the trans. The bigger bearing adapter is the clincher. The hole in the adapter would have to be perfectly centered and fit the SR-4 bearing retainer. The front bearing itself is much bigger on the SR-4 compared to the T-96, you can't swap the retainers like I did when using a T-96 in a multi-pattern bell. I redrilled the retainer to fit the T-96.

-------------
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 10:35:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

The SR-4 (1976-1981) might come close to fitting in the T-96
hole:

>From http://amccf.laatikko.org/tech/amc_manual_trannies.html

#  AMC used a multi-pattern bellhousing from the late 70s-'83 which had
#  patterns drilled for T-96,T-14/T-4,T-5 & SR-4.

SR-4 is 2" or so longer than the T-96 (w/o OD I assume). THat's
good; shortening driveshafts is straightforward and fairly
cheap. Add $25 to buy the two 1.75" wrenches and the "big nut"
axle is no longer scary.

I don't have access to an SR-4, I really wish I did... I have
enough parts here to completely mock up fitment of one to a
195/6/early 232.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"