Re: [Amc-list] trunnions again

On Thu, 1 May 2008, Joe Smith wrote:

> I have been trying to take apart the trunnions from my parts car, which was parked in 78 and hasn't moved since.  Most things have loosened up, but of course not the upper trunnion bolts.  How much can I heat the trunnion body?  Any tricks?  I would love to not break the bolts...

I assume you looked at this mess...

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Suspension/

I heated mine dull red. I used literally as much force as
I could apply in any direction I could apply it, all to no
avail. Everything sheared off flush. I welded nuts on, sheared
those off. I ground them out, in little tiny bits, using special
carbide tools. Not pleasant. It really needed my 1HP mill drill
to do the task. Mine were about as bad as they get. I hope.

The tease was, I could turn even the worst one about 1/4
turn. Back and forth, back and forth, for a good hour. I heated
and used AeroKroil, not that superglue-substitute, WD-40. (OK
I exaggerate.) Kroil allows frozen exhaust bolts, fuzzy with
brown loose rust, come off with a wrench.

On a lighter note, I have dozens of extra O-rings for seals,
hard nuts, etc should you need any. They were all cheap, and
came in absurd quantities. I'll give you a whole set for free.