[Amc-list] (no subject)

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:40:57 -0400
From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 1960 Rambler American Pickup
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Larry, if you have factory photos of a pickup I'd sure like to see
them! The production records I have indicate three glass panel
deliveries and three solid panel deliveries were made in 1959. Are
you thinking about those instead of trucks? My assumption has always
been that a metal panel was inserted in rubber for the solid panel
deliveries, but could be that the glass area wasn't cut out. Most of
the time such a panel stamp cuts the window out as the panel is
pressed, that's why I'd think AMC mounted a steel panel in rubber.
I've seen a photo of Frank Wrenick's panel, but don't recall how the
side panels were installed... don't even recall if it's a glass or
solid panel. There could have been a factory prototype pickup even if
it's not shown in the production records -- the Cowboy prototypes
weren't shown, they were Hornet two doors pulled from the line and
converted. We know at least one was an SC/360 -- the only one known
to exist today.

--------------
From: "Larry R. Daum" <mramc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

 > Yes, There were 3 American Station wagon based pickup trucks made by
 > the AMC factory
 > along with 3 Panel delivery trucks as prototypes. Frank Wrenick has
 > one of the Panel delivery
 > trucks. At least 2 of the pickup have been known to be floating
 > around. All though I can not say
 > weather the truck in question is one of the prototypes or not. I have
 > factory photos of the pickups.
 > They are listed in factory records if you know what they are talking about.
 > LRDaum
Frank,
  I'll scan a copy and send you one of the 59 Rambler American Pickup
truck. They are listed as deliveryman glass panel (pickup truck)
and steel panel , like Frank Wrenick's American Panel truck, 3
prototypes each. I had that same assumption until I saw Frank's panel
truck and found the pickup photos. At least 2 of the pickups and one
of the panel exist. The 3rd truck may or may not be the one in
question. the factory did it so it's not so hard for some one to take
a station wagon and turn it into a El Camino style pickup truck. In
fact a guy in Kenosha use to do that as a hobby. I have some picture
of that effort also.  This was not Nash/AMC first time at the
Rodeo.  Nash had the 48 to 54 trucks it built and Nash had done
trucks back to the 1918 as a continuation of Jeffrey had done with
the early  Ramblers and the Quads. The idea was always floating
around. There seem to be a 1963 prototype piece of literature on a
1963 Panel delivery truck based on the Rambler American and Classic
for that year. I'm not aware any being produced in the 60's. So, like
I said the idea was there always floating around. LRDaum