Re: [Amc-list] Dist, points, msd and other stuff

Re: [Amc-list] Dist, points, msd and other stuff

6000 with points I believe, Not 7000 though. SO you didn't have to change points much? and you had no bounce? Lucky. We had pronblems but we were shifting @ 6500 Electronic ignition is just more reliable and efecient compared to points. that is just a fact. No one said it can't be done with points.. It was done for years untill the mid 70's when Electronic ignition became main stream. I even had one of those Accell dizzys when the came out. They were originally made for the circle track guys.
   Cam is the brian of an engine. It tells the HP where to be.
   Port work makes gobs of HP in an amc as well as all the other little things 10 HP here 5 HP there. It adds up. The guy I learned from back in the 80"s was racing a javelin 390 4 spd in stock class. He then ran a gremlin with a 401 in the 70's.
  I agree it is easy to get into the 12's. I did it with a 140K mile 360. Ported heads, roller rockers, custom isky cam(140.00) Torker intake and holley carb. O and yes I cheated and used a MSD dizzy cost 219.00 new 4 years ago.   shifted at 6000 thru the traps at 6300 12.6 @ 107 and it had more in it.( got bored with 12's and wanted 10's) gremloin weighs 3015 race weight.
   The gremlin we built in the 80's went 10.40 @ 129. Unfortunatly it was totaled at Cecil Co drag way when it blew out a tire at the top end.
   My new gremlin is a street car and will turn in the mid 10's (10.60 range) once I get time to tune it and get my suspension dialed in. it has already run 11.035 @ 121 with no tuning and 1.56 short time. This is on 93 octane with no power adders. It has a 300 shot in it's future so I guess I will still need the MSD stuff. .  You know how us youngin's are... we think we know it all
   Davis

amxron@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
  I've been away for a few days, didn't realize I had started a firestorm LOL. Thanks for your comments Frank.
The person asking the question orignally seemed to think a shiny new dist would add hp. It won't. I think the money ($300?) would be better spent on other things. Maybe it's because I have run NHRA stock class's since the 60's (yes i am old but, not senile!)in the early 70's I ran under the AMC factory racer program (70 AMX, D/Stock). The car is now an IHRA legal Pure/Stock and runs mid 12's. We ran points only in the 70's and I shifted at 6000 never had any point bounce and a friend w/an L88 shifted at 7500 w/a single point dist. i can show anyone what he did to his ign. We added a MSD6AL when they became legal. It only got me .005 ET but,the rev limiter was piece of mind. LOL. A sponsor gave me an ACCEL dist and it showed no gain at all. Could be because my car is a 4sp and never see's less than 4000 rpm so the dist curve means nothing, only total advance. Use a good coil, wires and curve for automatics and the street they do more than all that billet will ever do!
Point is (pun intended) spend the money on 1. exhaust 2. gear 3. cam/valvetrain (anyone who doesn't think the cam is the engines BRAIN needs to spend some time reading [Isky, Bruce Crower, Harvey Crane all explained it well]. All AMC stock cams are very mild and need lots of help (a 4* retard key will get you 10-15 hp for less than $20.) Roller rockers are another thing that should be way down the list (10 hp for $250 ugh!) 4. Headwork (although stock AMC V-8 ports are good to 6500 rpm) 3 angle, good springs and retainers. You can go fast and cheap in an AMC but, the aftermarket wants to sell you all the shiny go-fast stuff and the magazines push it. Personally if i couldn't make a 3000lb AMC stock 390/401 go in the 13's with only headers, gears, tires and $100 and do it with the Motorcraft carb too I'd stop driving!
This is what TUNING is all about. If you're in the 9's you need a billet dist. If not.......
Comments and questions welcomed, insults by people who haven't been there are not.

amxron
70 AMX
70 Hornet
78 FSJ Wagoneer