Re: [Amc-list] Distributor issues

Well, "not needed" maybe is too extreme.  Multiple
spark does help, even at low RPM.  Witness a light
aircraft engine.  My Continental (65 horse) has two
seaparate magneto ignition systems (two spark plugs
per cylinder).  The ignition switch is capable of
turning off either or both of the magnetos.  Typically
if you set the idle throttle at 600 rpm with one
magneto enerized, and switch to both the RPM will pick
up another 75 to 100.  It runs smoother and makes more
power with both magnetos which is how it is designed
to run.  The two ignition systems are for safety not
efficiency, but efficiency is an added benefit.

Firing a single spark plug multiple times in rapid
succession at the proper time would have somewhat the
same effect....more complete combustion and more power
from a given fuel charge.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA
Piper 4596H