Re: [Amc-list] Distributor issues

I know nothing about 6 bangers. I speak only from v-8 experience.
   Davis

Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  I hate to spoil the party, but here's a wet blanket on gadget
fun. I'm assuming stock, street, and mild performance. 2hp/ci
and up, ask an expert.

Most of the MSDs do "multiple spark" at low speeds. Right where
it's not needed. At high speeds, there's not enough TIME, not
energy in the coil, to do multiple sparks, without exotic setups.

The 195.6OHV is factory-redlined at 4500 rpm. If you've ever
driven one, you know that 4000 rpm is VERY VERY HIGH SPEED!
Even the modern six, built, won't rev much past 6000, and few go
more than 5000. Why spend $$$ on something that will literally
never be used?

If you stick with a points distributor, in a slow-turning stock
motor, they really will last a long time. But if the distributor
is worn out, meaning the shaft bushings are worn, dwell and
therefore timing is jumping around. The spring in points puts
some pressure on the shaft, not much, but it does cause wear.
A worn distributor with good points and an MSD or other box
will work fine, but timing might be erratic. Grab the shaft
and wiggle; look at timing with a timing light.

THe pertronix replaces the points with an optical interrupter,
no more points-induced shaft wear. Timing would still be erratic
if the distrib was badly worn, but probaly wouldn't get worse.

With the 195.6, OHV or flathead, you never rev the motor to
the point where coil charge time causes ignition performance
problems. Pertronix and a decent coil on that motor will perform
as good as a big bucks setup. With a 232, and you rev to 5000,
a hot coil might make a difference.