Re: [Amc-list] AMC six, crankshaft bolt pattern?

I have the clutch, flywheel and a 2wd BA 10/5 trans (from my '87 Comanche) on the for sale pile for $50. Trans still worked good when pulled, but the Integral hydraulic slave cyl went south. (I was going to measure up to see if the external slave from an AX-5 would fit it. I converted a couple of those to external slave from late '80's XJ/MJs)

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] AMC six, crankshaft bolt pattern?
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I know for sure that GEN-2/3 V-8s use the same flywheel bolt pattern as the six, so the GEN-1 V-8 will swap also. Again, diameter is important for meshing with the starter and fitting under the bell. The late six (72+) flywheel is the same as GEN-2/3 V-8s, but remember that the V-8s are balanced with a counterweight on the flywheel, the six flywheel is neutral balanced. Don't know about the diameter of the GEN-1 V-8 flywheel.

The "cone" on the rear of the crankshaft is only for early model automatics. All the Dual Range Hydramatics have it. I'm not sure if any of the BW trannys did, but if your crank is a 58 the early ones had to. I know that by 62 all the crank flanges were flat and would take either manual or auto trans. I suspect only 58-59 had the different crankshaft, but can't say for sure.