[Amc-list] old rebuilt 195.6 ohv arrived

[Amc-list] old rebuilt 195.6 ohv arrived

OK, UPS truck freight is pretty good. You can track the package
online (not something I've ever been able to do with other truck
freight) and signed up for email notification of delivery which
went to my phone.

(All mobile phones can receive, and send, email, no charge
beyond a text message charge, if any. Since they wanna
sell you fancy $$$ services it's not well publicized. See
http://tinywords.com/about/mobile).

I was shocked to see a bare, exposed short block just sitting
on a 3' x 3' pallet, set properly on 4x4's, but held down by
two pieces of plastic bandit. That's all! With a sticker on
it. No plastic, no box, no nothin'.

No scrapes, dents, holes-in-block. Didn't get tipped over or
stacked upon. Shocking.

Anyways it's very pretty. The top deck is slightly nicked up,
but it's oooold nicks. The exposed bores are very nice, no rust
anywhere. The cam, timing gear, chain and motor mount plate
(goes under the timing chain area) all there, as are lifters
(they look like little pencil erasers :-)

It looks like the deck was NOT resurfaced. I'll later razor-blade
it, but I don't see any "recent" (inoperational history terms)
of machining, whereas it's evident elsewhere. It's likely that
30 years in a warehouse it got nicked up, and may have had
oiled paper over the bores.

This summer I'll take it all to pieces, probably have the block
tanked again (it's filled with dust), have a few thoundandths
off the top (remove those nicks, and also flatness check), mike
everything up and reassemble. Then I gotta find the missing
pieces, timing cover, oil pan and pickup, etc.

I'd rather build a whole second motor than cannibalize the one
in the car...