Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:11:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Oil Weights
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
If your running Hi RPM's the Rotella will foam.
  Valvoline " Not street Legal" racing oil is a good hi zink oil. about 1/2 the cost of Gibbs

Nick ALFANO <71amx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Cliff,
It really depends on the clearance you have in your engine. If you built it a little loose for racing, then stick with the 50 weight. If the engine is tight, go ahead and switch to 40. It shouldn't hurt anything. If you don't start this car in cold weather, you can run straight grade. 40lbs of oil pressure is not what I would call too high but more in the realm of just right. If it was 65-70 hot and over 80 cold, then I would say yes, that is too high and more than you need. My assumption is that you are saying it is 40lbs at an idle after it has warmed up to operating temp. Again, I would judge the viscosity of the oil I use based on the clearances in the engine first.
If it is a flat tappet engine, run something high in zinc and phosphorus. Rotella CJ4 diesel oil, certain synthetic racing oils or Joe Gibbs Hot Rod oil (this is the highest concentration I have found).
Nick
Alfano Performance
4849-76 st.
Kenosha, WI. 53142
262-308-1302
262-942-8271 after 6pm central and weekends