Re: [Amc-list] Converting to power steering from manual -- and back?

Re: [Amc-list] Converting to power steering from manual -- and back?

I forgot all about the Ford boxes!
My brother had a 70 Mustang fastback we put a manual draglink onto and ditched the P/S as it was worn out.
it worked fine and we even had a small aftermarket wheel on it.
Do the Fraud boxes have the same bolt pattern though???
Should be a fairly easy box to get.
Most any 60's ford with Ram assist P/S will have this box in it.
if it has the right bolt pattern and spline counts it's bolt in [big if]

I have a 93 grand Cherokee quick box to put in the Ambassador.
Wanted to use it in the American, but the bolt up pattern is missing a lug and I do not want to fool with it.
ironically the lug that is missing is not used in the 65 Ambassador, so I figure it will go into it nicely.'
I also have P/S mount and pump from a 65-68 Vigilante Jeep!
That gives me the saginaw pump so I can drop the line pressure if needed.
The ZJ box has the better valving for more road feel too.

I look forward to some day being able to test all this out for real....

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)