Re: [Amc-list] Converting to power steering from manual -- and back?

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm not sure what car your wanting this for?

I wasn't thinking of the little American, that'll stay pretty
much stock except for cosmetics or changes that make it reliable.

I was thinking generally, as I drive my '70 hornet with the 2.5
turn box, to work.  I hate the mushy steering. Not that I'll
modify this car -- I was thinking ahead to the Navarro hot rod,
I guess. I hate power brakes too. I even have the wrong master
in my classic wagon (for 20 years now), the piston is too big
so pedal pressure is high, but it works fine. ANd now that I'm
driving a manual car all automatics seem like mush too.

I seem to be regressing. Car senility setting in. RM heading
towards fatal!

I've never taken a steering box apart. I "know" what's in
a manual box (and have to rebuild my 63 classic's -- it's
worn out!) but the power jobbies, I'm unsure beyond the
diagrams. Seeing [apart] is understanding :-)