Re: [Amc-list] 196 head bolts

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, d stohler wrote:

> thanks tom, you plan to take the american on a road
> trip? come up north, (oregon) for a vacation, and i
> got all the poison you could want (i.e. my family owns
> the local liqure store hehe)

Thanks! I might! I've been thinking eastern OR, WA and ID are
far-too-unexplored, we took a great tour a decade ago through
there, around Hanford, Arco, the atomic aircraft engines, EBR-1,
NERVA, etc...  atomic touristing. In the Rambler of course.

I hope I didn't sound harsh on you, I was just jokin'. Teasing sucks
though.

> remember corectly the shape of the chamber) that most
> of the compression gain would have to be in the block
> and piston, not the head tho.

Yeah, it's not a performance engine -- but that also means
"small" improvements can make a big difference. I am really
itching to build one up, mostly stock, but full-flow oil,
and maybe more.

I REALLY want to build an aluminum one. Or at least get a core
in fair shape and seriously check it out. But since hardly
anyone has even SEEN one (I've seen exactly one in my life)
never mind hacked at one, it's a bit scary. It's 100lbs or so
lighter, and the smallest mods to get another 15hp would be a
snappy improvement in a little American.