[Amc-list] HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the GREMLINS...AND OWNERS

[Amc-list] HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the GREMLINS...AND OWNERS

?FIRST? AMERICAN MADE SUB COMPACT CAR

APRIL 1, 1970, APRIL FOOLS DAY. THE GREMLIN INTRODUCTION DATE, WHEN THE DEALER'S HAD THEIR DRIVE AWAY, GOING TO LOCATIONS AROUND THE COUNTRY FOR A SALES AND MARKETING MEETING, PEP TALK, ADVERTISING PLANS, AND PICKING UP THEIR FIRST GREMLIN...PRICED AT $1879 MSRP?FOR THE 2 SEATER/NO BACK SEAT,FIXED REAR WINDOW, AND $1959 FOR THE NEXT MODEL UP, WITH THE SEAT AND OPENING WINDOW. WE COULD?USE NEW AMERICAN MADE CARS AT THAT PRICE TODAY.

Instead, today,?38 years later, we have?Smart Car at a?Dumb price.?$15-19,000. 10 times as much, for a smaller , life threatening 2 seat car,?with only?average gas mileage for such a small car. I guess that's progress.

?The factory offices put on the driveway/ride and drive, and the dealers took their first Gremmie?back to their stores. Here in Boston it was held at the Logan airport, on what I recall? the guys telling me was a windy -snowy day. The first cars were all red white or blue gremlins. I was in high school at the time, but my dad took me to see the cars, all stored at a local amc dealer nearby. I took a few pictures of those first cars sitting in the storage yard, with my then new Kodak instant camera.? For more info, Check out "arcticboys" amc website, I think he posted those pics some time ago when I found those pics.
REGARDS,

Ken/Boston... Happy Birthday...to the model 46-5 Gremlins.