Re: [Amc-list] Comb chamber grooving

Frank,
  Thanks for the good feedback ? you have made some good points.  When I get my heads completed, I will post up pictures with links, so that anyone interested can see what the grooves look like in an AMC head.  They won?t be very deep or wide, based on our AMC combustion chamber design and angle of the chamber to the head surface, opposite the spark plug.

  Check the link below, for a mark up, which I received from Randy (automotivebreath on Speedtalk.com forum link), for the placement of the AMC V8 groove.  Randy?s the guy that?s been doing this to a variety of street and race engines, ranging from 10:1 ? 14.5:1 compression, with grooved heads.

  http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg116/amundaza/Jeep%20Heads/

  Sincerely,
Greg Taylor J  <><

Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:  I've worked with a lot of engineers. The majority of them suffer from "NIH" syndrome (not invented here), especially if it's an idea offered up by some non-degreed low-life mechanic, especially from what's considered by most as a third-world nation (India is "up and coming", not quite third world any more). Rather than take the idea and really examine it, they tend to scoff and discount it as some nut who stumbled on something that worked only under specific conditions -- like the "100 mpg carburetor" (yes, they existed, but only worked under ideal situations, not practical for every day use and widely varying conditions).

Singh appears to have something though. Looks good for retrofit, but probably not for new engines. Why do I say that? Combustion chamber and intake port design induce a lot of swirl now, no need to add anything. Manufacturers can design the swirl in without resorting to such things as grooves, and can precisely control ignition with ECUs. So the grooves work well on a carbureted engine with a chamber that doesn't induce much swirl and ignition isn't precisely controlled. They don't make many more of those, but Briggs & Stratton might be interested. Most of the oil companies aren't that concerned about older engines (note our oil situation), so they wouldn't be that interested either.

Tom, the grooves COULD induce cracking, if made too deep in a thin area. Most of the grooves are shallow for that reason. For the most part combustion chamber walls are pretty thick though, so I don't think there's any reason to be concerned. The grooves are usually 1/16" deep or so (Randy suggested Greg go 0.060-0.080" -- 1/16" is 0.0625", 5/64" is 0.078")

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"