Re: [Amc-list] 401 Oil Mods (AMC I-6 oil issues)

Re: [Amc-list] 401 Oil Mods (AMC I-6 oil issues)

Just for the record.
I still don't agree on the need to run a six over full on oil.
My 4.0L has the unneeded Hi volumn pump in it, [it was a freebie from a buddy]
My shortblock has about 8K on it and it is a factory shortblock, no blueprinting, just he wya it came out of the Jeep in 95. For a cam I have a NOS 87 4.0L cam, nuther freebie. Stock replacement lifters.
Head is the 91-95 era head, has been mildly cleaned up around the valve guides and ports cleaned and the valves lapped. I also polished the oil returns in the head. that is it.
   I run a 73 Hornet pan and pickup. I do not run it overfull.
Can shows about 70psi cold oil pressure and about 40psi hot +-. I have run it on several different grades of oil, blends and synthetic and even diesel grades.
   I've run it off the 5200 rpm HO computers rev limiter once or twice, well maybe a few time more then that.
I have never seen the Autometer Comp series oil pressure gauge even so much as flutter...
   I tried running a few different engines overfull to protect them when I was a kid.
Dragstrip numbers fell on everyone I tried it on.
   Making the oil level closer to the crank creates drag, foam, etc; plus there is never any good done from whipping the oil and mixing air into it.
   Now, your saying a half a quart.
That probably won't hurt anything at all.
   But I disagree it is needed or that "Oil capacity IS a problem with the six".

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>