Re: [Amc-list] E-85 Conversion and bio-diesal

Re: [Amc-list] E-85 Conversion and bio-diesal

" From: "Bruce Griffis" <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" He got his oil from a local Chinese restaurant, and had more SVO than
" he could  burn in his two vehicles. That made me really think about my
" old 1959 Mercedes 190D (think it was a '59) with a four speed column
" shifted transmission. I don't think older diesels can run SVO, though
" - not without changing out all the hoses.

boy that brings back a bunch of happy memories!  all during my
childhood - or at least as much of it as i recall - my granny owned a
dove-gray '59 190c, the gas version of your dlesel.  when in her mid
70s she got tired of philly winters and moved to socal near my aunt
and uncle, she thought it would be silly at her age to buy a new car
so she drove it cross country!  took 3 months, saw a lot of sights...
15 years later my brother bought it from her on the eve of her death.
it needed a little tlc but was still in fine shape.  [in the process
he discovered the engine was an export model that shouldn't have been
in this country, which made us wonder how it fell into granny's hands]

iirc rubber parts - hoses and seals - have to be compatible with
either svo or biodiesel.  synthetics used for a long time now are, but
your '59 would indeed probably need some r&r.