Re: [Amc-list] Amc-list Digest,- Zinc oils/roller engine/scraper

Re: [Amc-list] Amc-list Digest,- Zinc oils/roller engine/scraper

Ken,
   The phrase "roller engine" refers to the lifter tip.
All of our old engines are flat tappet or "non roller" engines.
   The zinc and phosporus compounds coat the cam and help protect the cam from wear. as well as protecting things like dist drive gears etc;
    The Zinc needs are a lot lower on a Roller engine since the rollers roll on the cam.
Using high zinc compounds in a roller engine is not needed.
     if it is carb'd and lacking thigns like cat converter and O2 sensor, then it may help engine life.
The theory we have bouncing around is that the zinc was pulled down in the additive package because it coats Oxygen sensors and cat converts and shortens their life.

    As a side note, Back in the mid eighties when the Oxygen sensors started becoming main stream I was told at a factory training session that Oxygen sensors were to be replaced at about 40-60K. I can't remember the exact mileage or if it was a renault or nissan training session..it's been 20 years.  I remember the manufacturer quickly backpedaled on this when the EPA told them that at the mileage point they suggested replacement that it was to be covered under emmisions warranty! No way were they going to buy all those O2 sensors!
   I never saw and official recomendation for O2 replacement under maintenance again. I usualy swap out O2 sensors between 60 and 100K, early if I see mpg drops.
    I guess I've wandered off the original answer.
Sorry, I tend to do that...

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV