Re: [Amc-list] combustion chamber grooving

Re: [Amc-list] combustion chamber grooving

Hi Tom,
  I've been chatting with a guy on the Speed Talk forums that has been running racing engines with the Grooves for quite a while.  He says that 10:1 works quite well with 87-octane and has built 12.5:1 with 92 octane.  Yesterday I asked him about E85 and grooves, but E85 isn't available in his area ... he did say they have run AV fuel with 14.5:1 compresson engines and grooves.  I sent him an AMC head chamber pic and he marked it up ... here is a link to it:  http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg116/amundaza/Jeep%20Heads/?action=view&current=AMCHeadGroove.jpg

  Here are Randy's comments on the groove location/position :

  "Hi Greg,
I marked up a picture with a suggested groove location. Normally I mark the line right between the valves, the opposite end at the gasket area will determine groove direction. I aim the groove just to the exhaust side of the spark plug.

Nothing scientific about this, I believe the flame will develop here first because of swirl (if any exist) and the heat from the hottest area in the chamber.

I cut the groove 0.060' - 0.080' deep with a 1/16' ball end mill. I then widen and deepen the outlet at the chamber to 0.125'.  When you cut the groove you will end up with two sharp points at the chamber. Cut these back some or they will get too hot.

Hope tis helps.

RJN"

  As for other links for the head grooves, here they are :

  www.somender-singh.com (guy who started it all ... Popular Mechanics did an article on him)

  http://somender-singh.com/content/view/119/49/ - GROOVE PICS

  http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4069 - Where I met Randy, the head guy who's been doing this ALOT ... ID is 'automotivebreath'  *** PICS SHOWN ***

  http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=66779 - Another Forum for Turbo Volvos that Randy referred me to.  *** PICS SHOWN ***

  As for the depth on the AMC heads, the groove will be mild compared to other marks, due to our chamber floor angle design, opposite the spark plug.

  Sincerely,
  Greg Taylor :)  <><

Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Tom Jennings wrote:

> Anyone got photos of grooved iron similar to ours?

Aargh, I swear those links weren't there before... :-)

But why does it look like it will lead more to head cracks than
performance increase?