[Amc-list] generator to alternator

i just did this swap a couple weeks ago on my 62
classic. my gen quit working, then it shorted out
somehow, and my regulator cought on fire.

on ebay, there is a guy selling a 10si alternator with
a bracket kit to mount it to your old gen mount.

the 10si (even tho it is generic motors) seems to be
pretty good. it has an internal voltage regulator. it
is not THAT much bigger than the old gen. i used my
main power wire that goes to the starter solenoid for
the charge output. the wire that went from the gen to
the "gen" light on the dash worked perfect to wire to
the "energize" wire on the alt. and it works when
running to. lights up when engine dies, or gets below
500 rpm. i still have to rev it up to about 1200 when
first started to get it to start charging.

the guy also sells 1 wire 10si units. i like the 3
wire as i KNOW it is charging now. i will try to find
the link for his ebay store with the alt/brackets.

p.s. it was ALOT cheaper to go that route rather than
rebuild/purchase a new gen and regulator.

dave stohler
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules