Re: [Amc-list] Generator or alternator advice

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Joe Smith wrote:

> The generator on my '63 American is starting to whine.  Still charging but occassionally a whine that makes dogs howl and little children cry.  This is my daily driver, and I live in CA where traffic is pretty slow.  From what I gather, switchin to an alternater with Galvin's kit is the same as having the generator rebuilt for $120 or so.  What is your guys' advice and opinions.  It looks like something I can do fairly easy.  Also, what alternator do I use?  Thanks a million!

DON'T DO IT! DONT GO TO THE DARK SIDE!!!

Just kidding. Generators are terrible things. They weigh a ton,
consume a lot of copper wire to put out no juice below 1800 rpm,
have buzzy MECHANICAL! regulators, there's nothing good about
them, except Kool Faktor. I'm sticking with mine! It's got an
oil cup!  OK I'm easily amused.

I'll take yours if you pitch it :-) I'll even trade you a
rebuildable Motorola AMC alternator. (You don't really want that
though, unless nothing else would fit; you can buy a whole new
GM-style 3-wire or 1-wire alternator for the price of a rebuild
of the Moto.)

(I did actually have one long day of city driving where there
wasn't enough revs to keep the battery up; the GEN light came
on that night, it wasn't until the drive to work the next
day that it fully charged. Do that too much, and you coudl
be caught with a dead battery... an old-fashioned problem,
luckily with an old-fashioned fix -- push start! :-)