Re: [Amc-list] 1994 Jeep Cherokee transaxle noise - chain slack? knockin

Re: [Amc-list] 1994 Jeep Cherokee transaxle noise - chain slack? knocking, jerking above 55 mph

" From: Jerry Casper <gremlingts@xxxxxxxxx>
"
"   Well, with 179,000 plus miles on it, I'm sure it's
" no surprise that maintenance is needed occasionally.
" I've noticed a slight mechanical rattle or knocking
" the last few weeks, and it finally got loud enough
" tonight doing 65 mph, that I could feel the Jeep start
" to jerk some when the noise changed pitch, I thought
" maybe universal joints, but it changes pitch as well
" when I move the 2H / 4H gear selector lever slightly
" at high speed, so I think it's actually in the
" transaxle/transmission area. I need some advice on
" what to check for, I'd heard that there is a chain
" drive inside? Could the tensioner be shot? The noise
" "seems" to be like a timing chain hitting the cover
" kind of knock, hard to describe. It goes away when
" braking around 10 mph, and you don't hear it until
" accelerating past 35 mph, and it is really noticeable
" around 55-65 mph. It was getting rather loud at 65,
" plus I could feel something happening, so I slowed
" down, and got off the Interstate about 10 miles from
" home, and drove up the secondary route at slower
" speeds. Didn't want something coming apart at high
" speed!
"   Anyway, got it home safely, but I need to start
" looking at it tomorrow and/or Sunday, and see what it
" is, and can I fix it over the weekend. Any help
" GREATLY appreciated in diagnosing this.

first - there is no 'transaxle' in a jeep!  not yet, anyway...  you're
thinking of the transfer case, and with the exception of the np205,
every one i know of since about '80 has had a chain.  i don't know if
it has a tensioner.  they do stretch, but i don't know how long it
takes.

if the chain has stretched you can replace it.  if it's a np231, you
can get 231d [dodge] chain and sprockets; they're wider and stronger
than the jeep parts and drop in.

i don't know if you should be feeling a loose chain in 2wd, since it
only carries power in 4wd.  i don't even know if it turns in 2wd.

the t/c is - or should be - also full of atf.  could it be low?