------------
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:28:26 -0400
From: "Bruce Griffis" <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>

Okay, I have 2 replacement water pumps on hand. One off e-bay, appears
NIB, box states for
'65 American 196 OHV. Cool! The other from Autobone. I ordered a reman
unit - and it
appears just plain wrong.

Radiator hoses are off. Thermotat's housing and thermostat is off (I
replaced the thermostat
and gasket, but didn't seal it properly - so need to replace the
gasket). Fan belt is off.

Looking at the front - I have a 4 bladed fan, with 4 bolts holding it
on. Behind that is the pump.
I thought the pump was going as I had a coolant leak coming from the
timing chain cover, and
a gravelly kind of sound wen running. I'm guessing the leak is from
the water pump gasket. I'm
not getting a lot of play when trying to move the fan back and forth -
and when I turn it, I can
hear it pumping coolant. Anyway - since I have a new pump, I'll
replace it since I have to
replace the gasket anyway.

Question: do I remove the 4 bolts on the fan to get the fan off the
water pump? (I'm guessing
so) Any tricks for holding the fan still while I remove the bolts?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"