Re: [Amc-list] It's time for round tires (another Rambler on the road)!

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>    I likewise am still running Timken wheel bearings in the front of my American that can out of a very rusty 68 American I parted that only had 43k on it. They too were like new, all the finish on the races shone like new.
>   My rotors had new races in place, so I packed the 68 era Timkens and put them in. I'd bet they are made of better metal than half the crap you get now a days.

Me too! I was almost too afraid to say that... :-) I used to pop
in new wheel bearings far too often. Now I pop 'em at suitable
intervals (new rotors, whatever, wipe clean and inspect, and
repack with new seals. The 63 AMerican has the old bearings in
there, they were Timken and in excellent shape.

Sheesh, do we have to packrat all old iron today?!