Re: [Amc-list] Amc-list Digest, Vol 15, Issue 2- tail light gaskets

Re: [Amc-list] Amc-list Digest, Vol 15, Issue 2- tail light gaskets

thanks russ- I have tried for a long time to get pacer gaskets but they are NA/ unobtainium from Mopar, so that is what i did with the silicone to renew what was there.
hmm, in the dishwasher? I thought of cleaning wheel covers in there but gaskets, well usually getting the old ones off anyway would disintegrate what I have so i tried my idea. what type of plastic polish, does that really work? I have not heard of that. I will check out the parts stores.?I have some NOS lenses for the pacer for spares but the used ones on the car are in good shape but the polish sounds like a good thing for some of my extra used one.
Regards, and thanks, Ken.

Attached Message

russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx>

AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans. <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Re: [Amc-list] Amc-list Digest, Tom's tail light gaskets

Sat, 1 Mar 2008 11:20:32 -0800 (PST)

Ken; i dug your gasket repair blurb. Me, I just run
down to the local AMC dealer and order new gaskets and
Pacer lenses, I don't know what the big deal is.....
But seriously, folks. I have gone to sandwiching two
gaskets together to build them up, with a little
silicone in between to glue em together. The hardest
part is cleaning the gaskets in the first place as
usually they are really brittle. I'll try to build
them up like you described.
To clean them I placed them in the dishwasher with a
glass on top to keep them from bouncing around. I run
on gentle cycle and remove before the second cycle.
The use of ss hex screws is good, I'll do that.
Remember to use a plastic polish on the lenses before
reassembling.
I remember my ex-wife coming home once and I had
gaskets washing in the dishwasher, valve covers
wrinkle painted and curing in the oven and my carb
spread out on the kitchen table. Hey, "Brewster
McCloud" was on TV and I wanted to see it. Just multi-tasking....Russ