Re: [Amc-list] Breaker points - stripped the screw - tap and die time?

Re: [Amc-list] Breaker points - stripped the screw - tap and die time?

Bruce,

I don't think there is much room for a bigger screw so that may not
work. There are only two more screws to get the breaker plate out once
the cap is off so it would be easy to find out.

I don't know for sure if its the same part or not, but I have an extra
breaker plates from later sixes. I took a look at some pictures and part
numbers on Rock Auto and it looks like it will work. If you're
interested, send me your address off-list and I'll send it to you.

Matt

Bruce Griffis wrote:
> Okay, my son and I were checking the points and loosened the screw to set
> them. Tightened the screw and it wouldn't tighten. This is with the Delco
> distributor on the 1965 196OHV.
>
> Do I just pick up a slightly bigger screw and use that, or use a tap and die
> and make a slighter larger thread on the distributor breaker plate? What's
> the scoop when you strip the threads on the breaker plate (or the screw)?

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon