Re: [Amc-list] eagle rear end HELP/ADVISE wanted

There is a way to force the NP119 into 2wd but it takes a bit of mechanical know how to do it (and the repair manual) I would swap out to a NP208 in a flash for 2wd option and no viscous coupler to worry about. (2wd low works nice for taking off with heavy loads too!) I wonder if the parts XJ's springs will also work to help my Spirit's low rider rear? (it was an '85 4 cyl rig)

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] eagle rear end HELP/ADVISE wanted
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

" From: "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Secondly, anyone out there have a 3:08 or 3:54 rear end to sell? I am
" guessing that it is a 3:54 myself, even though there is a A with
" circle around it and 2, stamped on the axle tube just to the right
" (passenger side) of the pumpkin.

a cherokee axle should be easy to find near you.  all you need is
someone to rework the shock mounts to match your eagle's axle.

as a bonus, you can put zj rear disks on a '91-up xj d35 or 8.25".

nb. i've recently heard that xj rear springs can swap with eagle wagon
ones...

" Also, is anyone positive that the front differential CAN indeed be
" disconnected should I find a rear end? I don't care if the 81 is 4x4
" or not, as both my 82 and 88 Eagles, driven daily, are 4x4. 2WD on
" the 81 would be fine, as long as I can somehow put it back on the
" road in a reasonable amount of time.

the only nit in this is taking the t/c out of 4wd mode.  if it has a
center diff you won't budge.  if it has the viscous coupling you'll
move but you'll burn it out in short order.
Andrew Hay