[Amc-list] T96 disassembly...

Got the sticky mass apart, under all the goo was a well-worn
T-96. Man they liked those snap rings, a PITA to get some apart,
like the OD adapter rear shaft bearing, which has an outside-type
snapring on the INSIDE of a bore, about 1.25" in!

Everything had a coating of black carbonized oil. I did a
first-pass cleaning with lacquer thinner, which I hate to use,
but this was nasty.

Bearings seem fine on first inspection, ran absolutely smooth and
quiet (before cleaning, not turning them while they're dry). The
bronze synchro dog rings are in surprisingly good condition --
no serious wear at all. The trans always shifted fine. All of
the gear teeth were fine -- except first.

First gear had 8 - 10 teeth missing their leading edges; the
rest showed high wear but nothing unusual. I don't have any
transmission repair experience, but I have never heard of a
T96 with problems OTHER than first gear.

All gear teeth faces were smooth and shiny with good contact
patterns, no lack-of-lube scarring or overheat.

Since only the leading edges were broken, and the tooth faces
showed good contact, it had to have been Operator Error,
someone put torque on first gear before it was fully engaged.

So it makes me wonder, are T-96's inherently "bad", or are
people today (me included) simply no good at crash-box firsts?

Were T96's considered bad transmission in, say, 1955? When
people probably knew how to shift things like it?

Anyways I'll call NorthWest Transmissions and get a new first
gear, but I have no problem rebuilding this thing and relying
on it.

The contrast between a 1963 Classic and a 1963 AMerican is
pretty substantial. The Classic is a modern design, far more
like 1970's than 1950's. The American is nothing like 1970's,
and very much like post-war.

It's so clearly an old Nash product, it's a very old fashioned
car, and that's why I like it. It needs to be shifted like a
pre-war car, is all. There's no slam-shifting this transmission,
it goes slow sure and easy.