[Amc-list] Low Oil Pressure when warm, 58 Rambler

[Amc-list] Low Oil Pressure when warm, 58 Rambler

Low Oil Pressure when warm, 58 Rambler

I'm working with Advance Auto Parts to stock the
GM / AC Delco EOS - engine oil supplement -
an anti-wear package with ZDDP.

*Part 10-106*
12371532

*note - Gm has reinstated this EOS and the new number is #88862586

read up on :

CI-4/CI-4 Plus oil

With the NEW EOS packaging, you'll see it is now
listed as an 'Engine Assembly Lubricant' - not
as previously an 'Engine Oil Additive':

[quote from somewhere]

"is this a GM disclaimer to keep the corporate lawyers and EPA Nazis
happy or should I really not be using this stuff in my Fleetwood or
El Dorado (or my 68 DeVille Conv for that matter)???"

answer:
The word I got from an engine developer / builder with ~20 years of
experience (and a rat rod Seville at his shop) was exactly what you
proposed.{relisting EOS as an 'Assembly Lubricant' not an Engine Oil
Supplement ] is 'Legalese' speak, and no more.

Because of all the ZDDP in EOS, it tends to destroy catalytic converters,
hence the warning [of not using it as an Additive, the EPA cracked down].

I asked him about using EOS; he suggested putting in a pint with every 5 quarts or
so, every oil change.

In my mind, it is cheap insurance against the flat tappet monster. I
have read at least one published article, maybe more (no references I
recall this morning) that suggest the same thing.

Not sure I would put it in something with a cat, but there you go!

Also, do some digging here http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...t=0&Board=UBB5 <http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB5>

[end quote]

[quote from somewhere]

EOS is engine oil supplement. modern SM grade conventional passenger car oils are a disaster waiting
to happen in flat tappet engines, and 10w-40 is one of the worst.

The ZDDP levels in regular passenger car motor oils have been
drastically reduced in recent years, (from around 1200 ppm to 800 ppm
today). This has resulted in rash of cam/lifter failures in flat tappet
motors. Furthermore, they are made from crappy group I base oils.

On the other hand, a few of the heavy-duty /15w-40 /diesel
motor oils such as: Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, etc. still have decent
levels of ZDDP, plus they are made from superior group II base oils and
have excellent detergents.

[end quote]

See link:

 http://www.motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Some, not all Diesel Engine Oils still contain a
ZDDP package.

When ZDDP was removed due to EPA pressure, the Truckers
threatened a strike as their down time / repair costs would
soar without an anti wear package.

Auto Mfg.s  made bearing clearances smaller, compressing the
'oil wave' that rides on a journal to work with 'other' changes
made to Oil ref. heat - to offset the loss of ZDDP.

There were many engine / cam / lifter failures once ZDDP was
removed - it caught CRANE CAMS flat_footed.

So, if you're asking me, I would add EOS to any non cat. equipped
vehicle.

My 1989 Cherokee runs Mobil 1 DelVac, the Diesel Oil with ZDDP and
I add a pint of EOS, however I will deny this in any EPA lawsuit
stemming from this statement.