Re: [Amc-list] Torque Tube manual trans...

Re: [Amc-list] Torque Tube manual trans...

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On a very long shot question... in a month or so I'll be yanking
" the 232 from the Classic wagon for a re-ring and all that, and
" it occurs to me if someone in the So Cal area has a torque-tube
" manual transmission for 63-up that is NOT! a T-96... I might
" put it in.
"
" []
"
" Seeing how I sheared teeth off a brand-new T96 in this very
" car in 1989, I'd like not to repeat that, though the OD sure
" would be nice.  I even have one...
"
" Anyone got a T89 or T86 or whatever it is in usable condition? I
" like three speeds. I assume 4 speed torque tube trannies are
" rare and expensive.

you'll need the rare h/d bell also, since neither of these have the
same bolt pattern or input shaft length/spline as the t96.  nb. afaik
the t86 was the hd option.

" I wish the T96 wasn't so weak, but in a 3150 lb wagon with a
" 232 it would not be reliable.

if you lucked into a t14-o/d, that would fit the common t96 bell and
clutch, and with the t96-o/d tt adapter might just drop in.

you could also make yourself very popular by documenting that t14's
mainshaft and o/d adapter sufficiently to permit copies to be made.