Re: [Amc-list] My '65 American moves under it's own power!

I used to have an old head (preferably a junk one) that I would mount the (prepped and chamfered cracked) manifold onto and run my torch up the inside to get it nearly glowing hot and stick weld it with low hydrogen rod as far as I could reach around it, then JB weld the rest after it cooled down. Got away without surfacing them that way most of the time too (except Ford FE exhausts)

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] My '65 American moves under it's own power!
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

You're not propagating bad advice Tom. Cast iron isn't easy to weld. An exhaust manifold doesn't have a lot of stress on it, so Garry's method will work, especially if you have the manifold somewhere it can cool slowly (the slower the better!). After "stick" welding (with a special high nickel rod made for cast iron) it would be a good idea to heat it back up with a torch then let it cool slowly.

Most castings, especially if under stress once installed, can't be so easily welded. Brazing with a bronze or brass rod would work better/easier, but be more noticeable unless painted, and we all know paint doesn't stay long on an exhaust manifold. But then the exhaust manifold is not real noticeable on a 196, being partially under the intake area of the head. Maybe some of the Eastwood exhaust manifold coatings would work well though, haven't tried any.