Re: [Amc-list] 232 inline 6's?? (difference between 232/258)

The early (pre '71) 232 was stroked (and the deck made higher to match) to make the 258 in '71 (only year of the small bell 258, except in Postal Jeeps) The 199 was also stroked (with the same deck boost) to become the "new" 232. No-one has had the definitive answer as to whether it was intentionally kept at 232 cubic inches (so as to not lose loyal customers) or a fluke. (combination of both?) In '72 both 6 cyls got the larger bellhousing (and they moved the starter onto the Passenger's side, away from the heat of the exhaust)

   While the head may bolt on, the combustion chambers were also changed several times over the years (along with the pistons) I stuck a small chamber head on a high mile engine (that was supposed to have the open chamber) and I got lots of ping, but it was a screamer on high octane gas! (burned oil like crazy too!)

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 232 inline 6's?? (difference between 232/258)
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Same bore, longer stroke. All 199/23/258 engines have the same 3.75" bore with different strokes. The 64-70 199/232 block is 1/8" shorter (or is that 1/16"?) than the 71-89 232/258 block. The other difference occurred in 1972 -- transmission (bell housing) bolt pattern changed to be the same as the V-8. Only 1971 258s will work with the older Borg-Warner automatics.

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:18:01 -0800
From: "Thomas Garner" <Tgarner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 As for the 258, for the most part it's the same engine with a larger bore. Both where originally made by AMC. The block and head should be the same...Unless they made a change when they started using fuel injection, but I think the block and head are still the same, though I'm not sure after fuel injection started, some time in the mid to late 80's I believe.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"