Re: [Amc-list] 71 Gremlin 232 1-bbl

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, Ted Dooling wrote:
"
" > I sent out an email last Monday asking if I could beef up
" > my 232 that I thought had about 140 hp. I received a lot of
" > replies with detailed information, much of which I need help
" > interpreting since I have never gone further than changing a
" > carburetor. I have printed them all out and I'm grateful for
" > everyone's response. It's comforting to know there are so many
" > dedicated and knowledgeable AMC fans out there. Well I took the
" > air cleaner off to find out I have a 1 bbl which I am told means
" > probably about 120 hp at most so I have room for improvement. My
" > questions now are what modifications if any do I need to do to
" > install a 2bbl? Does anyone have a 2-bbl and any associated
" > parts I may need to install it, that will fit this 71, 232
" > that I can purchase?

first off --
there were no factory 2bbl sixes '71-5.
the pre-smog 232 was rated 145 hp with 1bbl, 155hp with 2bbl.
the 199 was 128, the 1bbl 258 came in at 155.

" The most "obvious" way is to simply find a cast iron 2 barrel
" manifold, carb and linkages from a 2bbl 232. You'll need a
" manifold gasket set.

this would be the '65-'70 setup with inline wcd.  imho the '76-9 setup
with crosswise bbd is a better manifold; they spent some time getting
even mixture distribution for smog resons, but were also racing the
2bbl 258 in scca showroom stock.  the 2bbl cam from these years also
has a little more juice in it than the 1bbl.

" If you decide to go this route, I'd get both exhaust and
" intake manifolds; you probably would anyways, as they are
" bolted together.
"
" You'll need to get them apart, which is easy unless the bolts
" are frozen. Lots of us here have done that, you can do it.
" Since it'll be a "spare" manifold you can do it on the bench,
" while you continue to drive the Gremlin....

the late '70s setup also has married intake and exhaust, and if you're
separating them you might want to mix-'n-match your original exhaust,
since it doesn't have an egr port you'd just want to block off anyway.
you'll still have to block the intake egr port, but that won't be
exposed to hot corrosive exhaust gases.

the '80s 2bbl setup has independent intake and exhaust manifolds and
probably the best flow but is otherwise very similar to the late '70s
design.

if just stepping up to a 2bbl isn't enough, on either of the late
setups you can take the carter bbd apart and sub the throttle section
with larger butterflies from a mopar v8 bbd.  this is a trick the
showroom stock racers tried to get away with and is supposedly good
for 20hp.  also the holley 2280 that mopar replaced the bbd with on
318s is a bolt-in and even takes the amc aircleaner, but lacks a choke
thermostat - mopar put it on the intake and ran a linkage to the carb.

and even if you stick with the stock points distributor, get a
recurving kit and unlock some free hp.