Re: [Amc-list] My '65 American moves under it's own power!

Re: [Amc-list] My '65 American moves under it's own power!

Cast iron is weldable, (well anyway a good quality cast iron is). The
secret, as some one else alluded to here, is to preheat the cast iron part
to a dull cherry red before welding. Using a nickel bearing filler rod
specified for cast iron is mandatory. Using a regular filler rod like
farmers rod or 6011 will result in a new crack right along side the old one.
To a point, welding on cast iron exhaust manifolds is an effort in futility.
If the manifold is already past the point of extreme abuse there really
isn't much logic in trying to save the manifold. The manifolds that came off
the 401 I salvaged were so far gone that the metal along side the crack was
missing too! If the manifold is an unobtainable one, you might get lucky and
fix it. If  you were to do the work yourself on a more common manifold, it
might pay off, but it hardly seems feasible though as most welding shops
would not want to bother with it because of the poor results produced from
trying to patch together things that are too far gone. good luck......

Armand