Re: [Amc-list] AMC 304 V8 Stroker Build (327-cid AMC V8!) - Final Answer

Re: [Amc-list] AMC 304 V8 Stroker Build (327-cid AMC V8!) - Final Answer ( Why ... Why Not!)

Good morning Davis,
  Glad you see where I'm coming from right now.  Considering what you put into your stock 360 and compared to what I'm doing with the stroker 304, perhaps I am being conservative on the 300 HP estimate.  I was calculating it with a 70-75% volumetric effeciency rate.

  My stroker will only be ~32 cubes smaller than a 360, so perhaps it will perform better than calculated.  We'll see, when it's all together and running.  I might call A.H. Atkins and get his feedback on the build, as he is the one building engines for Garrett's 290 V8 SS AMX.

  Sincerely,
  Greg :)  <><

Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Greg,
I understand now. YOu got into it deep. I just never messed with the 304 cause it would take so much money to make that mere 300 HP.

Here is a for instance. I took a stock 140K mile 360 and put on a set of ported 502 Iron heads and an Isky 236 @ .050 cam, Torker intake, holley 650 DP carb and made 400 HP. Now the short block was COMPLETELY STOCK with 140K miles. Pushed my 3050LBS to 12.6 @ 107 and made 296 HP to the rear wheels thru a 727 tranny and a ford 9"

My 401 is alot different with aluminum heads and custom pistons but with stock crank and rods and only 10.4 to 1 compression it makes 530+ HP on 93 octane.

Forgive me but at this point I see it as a waste of money to stroke a 304. But I understand your wanting to be different and I know 10 years ago the technology was alot different then it is now.
Davis

Greg Taylor wrote:
Hi Davis,
I am building the 304 stroker, because I have nearly ALL of the parts for it, and they are nearly ready to go together, and so, the trouble and expense won't be all that much 'now', as compared to doing a 360 (which I have) or a 401 (which I don't).

I began engineering that stroker engine 12+ years ago and want to finish it and get it running. It's been moth-balled for about 9 years, since the twin-turbo race car project was nixed ... and it's time to finish it.

Were I to start with the current 360 in my Jeep (60K on it), the cost would be A LOT higher in rebuilding, especially to the specs that the 304 is built to. I looked into putting the 390 crank/rods into the 360, to make a 383" stroker, but I would have more $$ to put into the 360 block to prep it. The 304 block is nearly done and the build up is internally balanced, weight-matched on components and should make more power than most would expect. Garrett Ghezzi's SS/C '69 AMX with a 290 v8 (0.060" over) can attest to that. He's pushing close to 480 HP and just under 400 lb/ft torque with a super stock engine & square port '69 heads. He routinely beats out 401-powered AMC's with that car.

While I don't expect my stroker 304 to make that kind of power, I am estimating that it will be in the 275-300 HP range and torque should be quite nice for the Jeep.

Please note that my current 360 makes about 200 HP roughly, with 4-bbl carb/intake, headers & single exhaust and a stock 8.25:1 producing a whopping 160-hp (stock). The stock 9.0:1 304's made 210 hp and 10.0:1 290's w/4-bbl made 225 hp.

Sincerely,
Greg Taylor

Davis Martin wrote:
Ok but Why go thru all this trouble and expense when a stock 360 will make about the same power?
304 just doesn't make sence to me as there are so many 360's available. Do all that same stuff to a 360 and now you have something. I won't even get into 401's

Greg Taylor wrote:
Good morning all,
Here is the final build-up breakdown for my stroker 304?

Sincerely,
Greg Taylor :) <><

And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. - 1 John 5:11-12