" Chronic Pain Hurts"

From: Arfon <arfonrg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Okay, let me clarify....
>
> MY NEFARIOUS PLAN:
> Except for a few pieces of chrome edging, I have the car stripped of
> parts.  While in this state, I want to repaint the door jambs, engine
> compartment and what not.  After that is done, I am going to load it
> on my trailer and take it to a paint shop and let them do the exterior.

Good idea!!

> TYPE OF PAINT:
> When I said Acrylic Enamel, I meant to have said Acrylic Urethane Enamel.
>
> I want to use an acrylic urethane enamel because it is the most
> durable.  The part I am going to paint could really be done on almost
> any paint but I need to use a paint that will 'play well' with the
> acrylic urethane that will be painted on the outside of the car.

If you have  specific shop or shops in mind consult them as to what paint line they spray.
You may find even if you have more then one shop in place that the use the same brand!

> PAINT COLOR:
> I want to paint the car in it's original color (Dark Raja Burgundy
> (P41A), non-metallic).
>

> SINGLE vs TWO-STAGE:
> I want to use a single stage paint because-
>
>          1) I want to be able to touch up small spots without having
> to strip and re-paint entire panels.
>          2) Every 2-stage vehicle I own now has zillions of small
> damage spots to the clear coat and they look like crap close up (refer to #1).
>
> As I see it, sure the clear coat may give a bit more UV protection
> but, what's the point when the clear/paint gets damaged ALOT sooner
> from small rocks and cat-scratches?  THEN you can't easily repair...
>
> The car is kept in a garage so I'm not sweating UV so much...

You'll prolly be fine.  Make sure you take good care of it and don't wax it too soon. That may be what happened to my uncles truck as he waxed it a lot to keep it from fading and IIRC he would sometimes wax a job within days of spraying it. I warned him, but he "knew what he was doing"...

> Q1) Thoughts?
I have lot of thoughts, some of them stupid, some inapropriate, some downright scary... oh,you ,meant about paint, oopsie!

> Q2) What I REALLY want to know is- Can anyone give me suggestions as
> to which paint/primer brand they like and why?

Like Joe said PPG is good as is Dupont. Or are they too merged now, everyone has!]
I actually spryaed my American in Montane brand Acrylic Enamel with gloss hardener, then a quick wetsand and buff. It too sits inside a lot and is holding up well. I used Montane Urethane promer under it. Bumpers were sandblasted to roughen the chrome, them I welded plates in two rust outs on the front bumper and Primed them with the Urethane primer. I was out of the Montana brand and could not get more so I did the bumpers with Dupont Centari and gloss hardener. The stuff is actualy tough and has held up very well. There are very few chips in it, even though it is sprayed over the blasted chrome and rust repairs, etc;

> Q3) Also, How do you remove (without damage)-
>          1) The chrome strips on the roof between the luggage rack rails?
They should be on small plastic clips with center pins. They should pop off when you carefully use a straight screwdriver or church key type tool.

>          2) Drip-edge trim?

It's very tough and takes patience, eastwood has tools for most everything. I wonder if they have a tool?
I've done it with flat screwdrivers and church keys, but honestly remember ruining at least one piece last time I did it.
My american is a base model, Yeah, no such trim!