Re: [Amc-list] Paint Q's

Not to mention that modern paints are better in every way than what was
used back in the day. Acrylic enamel is better than lacquer for
durability but neither of them are as good as modern urethane paints.
Also, a lot of the base/clear systems out there have UV protection built
in which helps a lot with fade resistance. The down side, of course, is
the new stuff can kill you or at least really mess up your lungs so you
have to use a fresh air system when you spray it. One other downside to
modern paint is it may not be compatible with urethane paints so you may
need to completely strip the car before you use it.

I think the best advice any of us can give you is to go to a auto paint
supply store and talk with them about what you want to do. If you're
still not clear about what to use, you can also get information from the
paint manufacturers.

Matt

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Is this a non metallic finish?
> If so I would avoid doiong it in one stage AE paint.
> For some reason the Burgandy non metallics I have used and seen used over the years fade like a [insert expletive here].
>    Now newer paints may work, but I'd go for a base/ clear.
> The vehicles in question were well cared for too. One was a mid 70's chevy truck that had been stripped to bare metal and within a year it had faded so bad it looked like it was never painted. I can't say what the cause was, but in later years a friend did the same color on a Ford Falcon in Base/clear and it held up fine. Very nice.
>    I could be completely wrong, but.
>
> --
> Mark Price
> Morgantown, WV
> 1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L, EFI, T-5
> 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.7L, Quadratrc II
> " Chronic Pain Hurts"

> From: Arvon Griffiths <arfonrg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> It looks like I'm going to pick up some single stage auto paint to
>> paint my door jams and engine compartment.  I'm looking for a single
>> stage Acrylic enamel.  The car is the 67 Raja Burgundy Rebel (P41A)....
>>

>> Can anyone recommend a brand of paint they like and why?
>>

>> Also, if I have the rest of the car painted in the same single-stage
>> acrylic enamel, can I feather in paint repairs later or do you have
>> to repaint whole sections of the car like with 2-stage?

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon