Re: [Amc-list] Electric Windshield Wiper Motor for Americans

Re: [Amc-list] Electric Windshield Wiper Motor for Americans

re: lower trunnion

> The hole in the lower arm is worn, that's
> why the big acorn nut came off. It doesn't look like the hole
> is worn bad, just enough the nut won't stay in. The solution
> is simple! Just tack weld the nut to the arm. Just one or two
> big spots is all you need. The nut has no stress on it, it just
> needs to be kept from turning.

...no torque on that nut IFF (if and only if) it's assembled
*exactly* correct. It's a bit of a kludge. The whole thing
absolutely needs to be assembled such that when you torque
the spacer/lower shock mount tight, that it doesn't pinch the
trunnion. It's very hard to describe; this is true of the 62-up
Classic/Ambassador UPPER trunnion, where the trunnion nut and
spacer relationship is critical.

If you get it right, the lower trunnion turns smoothly in the
two but nuts; but if there's dirt or dings in the spacer or arm
where the spacer goes; or the trunnion isn't centered/assembled
right; or the nuts aren't threaded into the arms right (it's
weird and touchy) then the trunnion will bind on the big nuts,
and torque them against the stamped arm, then Bad Things happen
(like self-disassembly).

I was incredibly lucky; while my upper trunnions were ruinated,
the lowers, for some reason, had been lubricated properly and
all the parts were fine. Maybe they had been "recently" replaced!

It took a couple of hours for me to be certain I had the lower arms done
right, and it was frustrating, as there was not clear right/wrong
boundary like there usually is on such things.

(The assembly procedure for the old American LOWER
trunnion is the same principle as the 62-up big car
UPPER trunnion -- which I documented fairly well at
http://wps.com/AMC/Front-suspension/index.html )

> just peening the edge with a punch, but I'd just put a weld
> tack near the outside so it can be struck off with a chisel
> if needed. I've repaired several this way -- replacement arms
> are hard to find!

That's probably not a bad idea. I've been checking mine
monthly, no loosening so far, but at the first sign of it I
will tack-weld them.

> Just keep the trunnion greased and you should
> never have another problem.

Once assembled right, that is absolutely true. It's an "old
fashioned" design -- you need to use care and skill to assemble
it, and it demands maintenance. Given that though, it'll last
forever. My 63 Classic suspension has 350,000 or so miles on
the original upper trunnions!