[Amc-list] 290 Questions

I don't know about that "stock" oil filter location,
however, here are a couple of suggestions.

If you have an unmolested timing cover, you can get a
replacement OE Style oil pump cover with modern
improvements and opt for nickel plating from Bull
Tear.

If for whatever reason you have to do remote, you can
get a kit from them or just about anywhere to do a
remote on the psngr side of the engine where it
belongs... you can even do dual filters!

For ignition, Pertronix works excelently for stock to
warmed up engines.  One wire hook up and keep your
stock cap and wires.

HEI setups are popping up everywhere now.  Z & M Jeeps
makes a great one (google it).  Same simple one wire
hook up, but bigger cap and wires, no  longer stock
style distrbtr.

You can go to many Jeep sites and find info about
using later model Motorcraft distributors (79 and up
AMC/Jeeps, I believe) and doing all kinds of mods to
them.  You can adapt the "big male cap" and wires from
a 460 to get better spark seperation.  Add the TFI
(thick film integrated- not oil can type) coil to
triple your spark strength.

You can also use the above with an HEI ign module
wired in to avoid using the junky Motorcraft Ign
module.

I have used all the above and had great success.

Stock look, stock to mild innards, stick with
Pertronix, under $100.

On a budget and willing to scour junkyards, go with
the big cap/tfi upgrade.  $40-80 (more if you buy a
new coil, though)

Don't care about stock look and want some mega power,
go HEI or all new TFI with HEI module.  $200-$300

Then there's always the box style units, MSD, Accel,
etc... give Jegs/Summit call.

Easiest EFI when cost is no object, Edelbrock setup
will solve both Ign and EFI!

You can go back to Jeep sites to learn about adapting
GM EFI , pretty easy and effective.. can opt way up
for adjustability.

Also, MegaSquirt has been a popular option.

Hope that helps!

Jesse