[Amc-list] Rambling on and on; Was: Re: slow 82 Spirit

[Amc-list] Rambling on and on; Was: Re: slow 82 Spirit

I forgot to tell Russ how jealous of his find I am.
One of my dream cars is a Spirit GT with a 258 5 speed.
A stroker and a World class T5 would realy wake it up..

reason behind my want is that at Tewells in 84 we had a blue 83 Spirit GT that would not sell.
I was loaded except no sunroof, It was an wutomatic though.
I drooled over it with it turbine wheels and all.
Even priced it out. It would have taken every penney I could spare to buy it, but I was too young and not making enough money so the bank would not float me a loan with out dad cosigning. He said no, I didn't need it.

It eventualy sould to a guy In Connelsville, Pa who treate dit like a rented mule :[ I saw it off and on thru it's warranty period, gettingmore and more beat.
   Eventualy I forgot aboutit and it never reappeard.
Everytime I see or hear of one I think about the car.

 It was bout that time I saw my first 5.0L Mustang!
I managed to get one of those a few years later to play with.
It was an 84, T5 car. Had it for about 4 years. Sold it when my first son was about 6 months old as I could not afford to work on it, nor did I have time to drive it.
   Used the money to buy most everything I needed to put together an 82 merc capri with a 460! I had it all, parted out a 72 Lincoln for the 460. Had all the mounts, everything.
   The same bug bit as after scrounging all the parts I could not find time to work on it!
I good friends son wanted it so I sold it all for what I had in it plus about $200 extra. He and his dad built that car.

   It was about a year later when my uncle bought my American and when dad told me about it I went up the next day and bought it on the spot.
   Most everyone knows the saga of the American.
Body work, front fender wheel openings in the rear quarters. Drove it stock one summer.
  Got the 4.0L and T4, drove it with a 4barrel for a year or so, ran like crap and I could not get it tuned.
Bought the 91 EFI and a Spirit T5, now it runs sweet, but i don't work so good.
  I managed a total of 300 miles last summer :[

Good news is that while I'm still in pain and one meds. I'm down to a safe level of Lortab. Only take 4-5 a day now.
I can think straight and my shoulder is starting to free up. It only has an occasional pop now. Less then my left one actually!  I have ot stay on the pain meds, cause if I don't I don't do my excerisises and I need to get things loose.
 I'm not lalowed to bear weight on it and so far I have not reurned to work. They are no longer copying me on stuff that is going on there :[ So I'm kind of wondering if my job is in danger.  I don't care, the 30k a year will be sorely missed with my oldest hitting college, but so far he has a full tuition ride to WVU thru Wvu's "Promise" scholarship.
We will spend about $7k in room and board etc; not bad at todays costs. We could do it cheaper buy keeping him at home, but we want him to live in the dorm and meet new people. Plus he is a slob, so let him be a slob somehwere else! His dorm will be less then a 1/4 mile from where I work now and his mothers workplace too. It's actually dead center between the two workplaces. Anyway, I'm finally optomistic about my shoulder, painfull yes, time left in healing, yeah.
   I found some web sites on Hemia arthroplasty [SP?] I know whyit hurts. They make a 4-5" incision in the front of the shoulder, then detach the frontal muscle and leave it retract out of the way, then the pop the hsoulder outof it's joint, peel the end of the bone out of the muscles, grind thru the cartlidge and dead bone, screw a plate in to the hole, the reassemeble that whole mess. I even stumbled on some pics of actual surgerys, whoa, why did I sign up for this!  Good thing I did not find this stuff before hand, some things are best left till later!  I would have been even mored freaked out knowing before hand!  I have read, read, reread and firmly believe I had little choice. It was not healing and once he got the scope in and viewed the arear it was prgressing as the cartlidge in that area as dying off and softening, starting to shread actually. He showed my scope pics of it. In young people these areas will heal, most anyone over the age of 30 is screwed because the
 arear
trys to heal, but it heals imperfectly and then collapses.

  I'm glad I went this route, still don't know what my future holds as to how far it will progress and how much care I will need to take with it. I think the cartlidge on the arm side of the joint is gone and that allows the bone and plate to ride in th cartlidge of the socket smoothly, but it increases wear and tear on the remaining cartlidge.  I hope I can do whatI used to do safely, but wonder if swinging mattocks, picks, hammers will now be outside my capability :[ I love to run Jackahmmers too, proly not going to be doing much of that either :[

  Well I've rambled way on and on.
I must be doing better... :]
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV